Vacation Bible School keeps our summer at Kidz Blitz busy too. Kidz Blitz Live and FX Live are used often for VBS kick-off or grand finale events. Kids show up to a Sunday evening Kidz Blitz Live, have so much fun and want to return for the Monday-Friday VBS activities. Families are invited to the closing day of VBS for FX Live to hear what their kids learned and to connect with the church.
Here are some ways to promote your VBS and get big numbers:
1. Some local theaters do free movies in summer. Hand out VBS information and a VBS-themed item as people exit.
2. Distribute theme-related items as invitations.
3. Place invitations with date, time and address of your church or VBS-themed toys in “Happy Meal” boxes or Chick-Fil-A kid’s meals.
4. Hand out invitations to moms in school pick-up lines.
5. Invite area daycare centers.
6. Have a really big, fun free kick-off like Kidz Blitz Live.
7. Host a BBQ cook-off as a block party with inflatables.
8. Give schools flyers and door knockers to send home.
9. Offer classes for parents/adults such as, parenting, finance, single adults, deaf, senior adults, etc. in conjunction with your VBS time.
10. Let kids promote VBS by giving them VBS themed t-shirts long before VBS to wear to school, sports practices, etc.
11. Sponsor a “Gas Buy Down” – work with a local gas station to have them lower cost of gas for so many cents per gallon for a limited time. Church covers the cost of the gas.
12. Post yard signs in member’s yards.
13. Set up and register children at local after-school programs, such as Boys and Girls Clubs. (Parents must register children to obtain proper information on the family for prospects for your church.)
15. Have a banner professionally lettered, put on a pick-up truck and park it at a local Wal-Mart, Target, entrance to a school, ball field, etc.
16. Put an ad in your local newspaper two weeks prior to your VBS.
17. Canvas the neighborhood with door hangers, prayer walks and visits.
18. Enter a child’s name for a free gaming system every time they bring a friend to VBS.
19. Go to a local park where kids have baseball/softball, t-ball. Play a game to draw a crowd, then promote VBS.
20. Utilize your bus/van ministry to promote VBS.
21. Give invitations to kids to hand out at school.
22. Take family photos in front of your VBS theme the first night.
23. Target and promote to Spanish speaking only and provide classes for them.
24. Each week leading up to VBS, give kids 2 VBS-theme related treats – one to keep and one to give to a friend.
25. Handout coloring contest papers in a parade to be entered in a contest. Coloring pages need to be turned in the first day of VBS. Be sure to have return instructions on the page!
26. Offer a pet care/wash in church parking lot. Hand-out goody bags promoting VBS and other community events and businesses.
27. Serve lunch! If you feed them, they will come.
28. Set up a “coffee tent” to give away coffee to parents when they bring their children, and invite them to stay for a short Bible study.
29. Host a block party or Family Fun Night (with FX Live!) with prayer tents, popcorn machines, clothing drives, cook out, VBS registrations.
30. Place yard signs (25′ on “H” stakes) in a 1-mile radius of the church property.
31. Take flyers to a local baseball field during games in the weeks before VBS and personally hand them out.
32. Post billboards in conjunction with other churches doing the same theme on different dates. Promote the theme and list all the dates and times along major highways in town.
33. Invite people who come to your food ministry to VBS.
34. Make placemats with the date, location, etc. and put on tables of local diners and restaurants.
35. Do a blanket mail out.
36. Place flyers in takeout sacks. Works well if you have a restaurant owner in your congregation.
37. Make refrigerator magnets with the date of VBS to hand out at public events earlier in the year.
38. Give kids who bring friends and neighbors a certificate for a free Dairy Queen for themselves and their friend.
39. Use non-members as “apprentice teachers.”
40. Invite church members to involve their un-churched friends to help where they are helping.
41. Have a VBS registration table set-up on special days when more un-churched attend such as, Easter, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.
42. Ask non-church members to help with photography, videotaping, clerical, or registration.
43. Host a VBS parade through a neighborhood throwing out candy and flyers about VBS.
44. Use a local elementary school’s database of addresses to mail invitations.
45. If you host Upward or other community youth sport league, at your last game, dress in VBS themed attire and do a devotion using VBS materials and invite families to attend.
46. Hand out balloons with your church logo on them and VBS registration cards at a local festival/parade that is closest to VBS date.
47. Host an outreach at a local park with free food and games for children.
48. Recruit church teenagers to canvas nearby neighborhoods and go door to door inviting kids to VBS.
49. Advertise your “community announcement” on local radio stations.
50. Set up a Facebook page dedicated to your VBS and invite parents on your friends list or who already like your church Facebook to join it.